Friday, February 10, 2012

Come Round Soon (A Prologue)

Round 6: Prologue
 Narrated by Isabella Thomas

I received a call from my sister Rosanna, yesterday that caught me off guard. I haven't heard from her in a little while so I was both happy and a little concerned.


My gut feeling was right. She was calling because she is being deployed oversees in a few months. To say the least, I was very distressed. She is a computer engineer in the Marine Corps and will likely not see any actual combat but it's still nerve wracking knowing that she'll be so far from us.

I invited her over for coffee to chat and after we hung up, I was just flooded with emotion and memories. I couldn't help but think back on our childhood and how close we’ve been.

I'm older by 6 years and mom told me that I was thrilled at the idea of becoming a big sister. I’m really big on family and I guess that started when I was a little girl. I probably couldn’t wait until Rosanna came out of mom’s belly.

I always kept her entertained, too. I don’t know who enjoyed playing peek-a-boo more but we’d play until she had to be fed, changed or until she fell asleep on me.

Even after I started high school, I always made time to hang out with her in between hanging out with my friends.

Naturally, she was my maid of honor in my (very quickly planned) wedding.

And I was the matron in hers.

I also started to think back on the first time she was deployed. It was the year after she had gotten married and the whole family got together for a big feast at mom and dad’s house.

The gathering was very bittersweet. It was great to have dinner with everyone again and the food was so good. We’re all so proud of what Rosanna does but it was hard to see her go. We didn’t know what to expect.

Luckily the deployment was short and Rosanna came home early the following year. She has been home ever since and had a son a year before I had my second daughter, Alyssa.

That was the other reason for the call. She and her husband are both being deployed to different locations oversees and will need someone to care for their son, Manny. They both feel that it would be better for him to live in a stable home here in Crystal Creek instead of moving around to random countries and also having to choose whether he wants to live with his mother or father.

Even though we probably can't comfortably afford to feed another mouth, my sister needs me and there's no way I'd ever say no. So in a few months, Manny will join us and we will have the pleasure of having 2 teenagers in the house.

****
Notes:
-There was a reunion contest/challenge at N99 and this was my entry for it. It will lead up to the ROS coming later this round. I'll have a profile for Manny when that update goes up.
-Thanks to Carla for the brownstone she built that I used for this project. And thanks to Tanja for her park that I used for Rosanna's wedding.
-I basically had to create Isabella and Rosanna’s history for this because it doesn’t exist. I made Isabella and her family (except for Alyssa) in CAS, and I created Isabella as an adult. So she didn’t have a childhood and actually didn’t even have a sister until a few months ago lol. But I needed to create her family to fulfill the ROS.
-I know I’m probably so inaccurate when it comes to dealing with the Marine Corps and I do apologize. I looked up what I could but I have no idea if I’m using the terms right, if the child care issues are accurate, length of deployment, etc. It’s just for the story and originally I wasn’t planning on being this detailed when the update came around. It was going to be like “my sister’s kid is living here now because... So… yea.” lol.

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting, love that you have a background to your ROS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Starr. It was hard thinking up a background for this ROS and hopefully future ROSs won't require so much made-up background story ;).

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're getting some use out of the brownstone! :D

    And yay, I remember reading about Manny over at N99 all those months ago and excited to finally see him in play here at the blog. Can't wait to see what he gets up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. Yes, I really love your brownstone and can't wait until I can move a family in! It's very playable. :)

      I can't wait to see what Manny gets up to, either! I don't know if he's going to be a male version of Alyssa or her polar opposite. We'll see! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the way you wrote in the family background, got all the pictures, etc - I would never have guessed it didn't all happen in your hood if you didn't say so. Looking forward to Manny's arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! It was a fun challenge creating the back story for this ROS. I don't think I would have gone through so much effort if it wasn't for the N99 challenge :P. Their update will be here in a few sim-months!

      Delete
  4. I loved the retro picks, especially the plaid pregnant picture. This was a fun read and the park and brownstones look great. Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maisie: I don't know if Blogger ate your comment or you deleted it. But just in case Blogger ate it, you wrote:

    I loved the retro picks, especially the plaid pregnant picture. This was a fun read and the park and brownstones look great. Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

    ----
    Thanks for reading! I'm glad you picked up on the retro clothing I tried to use. I know it really didn't matter but it was just another detail I thought I'd throw in without going too nuts. I'm really curious to see what happens when Manny moves in. I don't have any real plans for him yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosanna and her sister, Isabella are beautiful.They were absolutely adorable as children.I thought about my sister and our relationship which is very similar to theirs.This is a great background story; I couldn't tell that you added this in just for a ROS.I can't wait to see Manny and how he feels about moving with his Ant.I can't wait for the next update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! That's sweet that it reminded you of your relationship with your sister and glad you enjoyed the backstory. I hope things work out for this family after Manny moves in. It's going to be a little tight but I'm sure they'll manage. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...